Imagine telling what the weather will be like tomorrow in your street with great precision while also contributing to the larger network of weather enthusiasts. Well, if this sounds fun to you, you can do it by using the best camera for weather underground as your platform.
The only thing is – you’ll need a camera to do it.
In this article, we’re going to talk about the best camera for weather underground that you can use as your meteorological weapon of choice.
We’ve prepared a list of the seven best camera for weather underground, so you can pick the one that suits your needs in the best way.
Read on to find out more!
Our Favorite Camera For Weather Underground
7 Best Cameras for Weather Underground – Products
1) Zmodo – Outdoor Security Camera
Featuring the build of a standard security camera, this model from Zmodo is the best camera for weather underground can be a great option for anyone in need of a camera that can last for a long time in rough weather and still provide great footage.
If you look at a picture of one of these cameras, you will notice that there’s an extra-long antenna on the back of it.
This antenna aims to enhance the signal range to have better signal retention and a stronger, more secure Wi-Fi connection.
Here are some of the features of this model:
- Full HD, 1080P video – Thanks to its high-quality lens and the great coverage provided by the extended antenna, you can watch high-quality videos from a wide range of different devices – wherever you are.
Whether you have a PC, an Android device, or even an iOS device, viewing videos of excellent quality is a piece of cake with this camera.
- Voice control – … via Alexa or Google assistant.
Issuing commands to this camera is fairly easy, as all you need to do is use your voice to tell the camera exactly where to move and which part of your property to film. (As long as that part of property is covered by the field of view of the camera, of course.)
- Weatherproof design – You can set this camera up to work outdoors comfortably without worrying about the elements.
Thanks to its tough metal build, this camera will be able to survive a nuclear blast and still film excellent footage of the fallout. (Well, not really, but it’s pretty tough is what’s the point.)
- Voice control with Alexa or Google Assistant
- HD video quality
- Intelligent motion detection
- Large antenna for more coverage
- Advanced night vision
- Simple setup
- A tad pricey
2) Yi – Security Camera for Outdoors
Featuring a compact, rotund build that won’t take up too much space underneath your outdoor awning or some other part of wall structure, for example, this Yi security camera can be a great solution for both safety and weather-tracking purposes.
This model is waterproof, so you can rest assured that no matter how much precipitation there is outside, this camera will be able to stay as functional as when the weather is nice.
Here are some of its most prominent features:
- Excellent video quality – Even though outdoor security and weather cameras aren’t well-known for their security features, this model coming from Yi would be an exception.
Thanks to its HD video quality that records in 1080P, you will get high-quality footage that you can easily analyze later on if you want.
- Enhanced night vision – To make it possible for this model to record the outdoor area that’s overseeded during the night, the folks at Yi equipped this camera with 12 LED beams. These work in pair with infrared technology which lights the way for the camera to a distance of up to 50 feet – even if it’s pitch dark outside.
- Mic + Speaker configuration – Other than its ability to shoot high-quality video both during the night and during the day, this camera also can be used as an intercom.
Since it has a microphone and a speaker inbuilt in its frame, all it takes for you to communicate with the other person is for them to stand near the camera so that the microphone can pick up what they’re saying.
- Great night vision infrared technology
- HD video quality
- Weather-resistant build
- Wireless connectivity
- Fairly inexpensive
- The special app made by the manufacturer
- The housing is made out of lightweight plastic
3) Wansview – Outdoor Security Camera
A stylish structure with a tall antenna that serves the purpose of greatly increasing the signal range from the Wi-Fi router, this Wansview model will fit easily into whatever outdoor backyard arrangement you have.
As its title says, this model is a security camera, but most of its features can also be useful for tracking weather.
For example, the motion-capture technology that this camera has can help you detect potential trespassing and capture some rough weather. (If it’s bad enough to make larger objects fly around.)
Let’s see some of the other features of this model:
- Special IP66 waterproof rating – … means that this camera can be used in all weather conditions – from pouring cars ‘n’ dogs sort of rains, all the way to sunshine-filled days.
The temperature range within which this model can function goes from -10° Celsius to 40° (14 – 104 F). So, this device can be a great option if you live in an environment that falls within this range.
- Tough ‘n’ durable housing – … made out of aluminum alloy that reacts great to sharp temperature changes, as well as physical damage.
So, you can rest assured that this contraption will work well in all sorts of rough weather conditions – including hail and snow.
- Alexa compatibility – If you want to be able to control your outdoor weather camera with just your voice, you’ll be glad to hear that this model is compatible with Alexa voice control technology.
What’s more, this model also boasts compatibility with such media as Echo Show and Fire TV.
- 2-Megapixel lens
- Works with Alexa voice control
- Excellent motion detection properties
- IP66 waterproof rating
- The casing is made out of high-quality aluminum alloy
- Night vision supported by 24 infrared LEDs
- You have to change the position of the camera manually
4) ieGeek – Wireless Outdoor Security Camera
If you like security camera models with that additional antenna for expanding the Wi-Fi signal range, you will love this model because it comes with two antennas.
So, design-wise, these look like some ears, while the front part of the camera looks like a robotic cyclops.
Other than its interesting looks straight out of a sci-fi movie, this model is also packed with all kinds of useful features.
Here are some of the more important ones:
- Long battery life – One of the features that sets this model apart from many competitors would certainly be its long battery life.
The battery itself is built by the world-famous Tesla company, and its rating is 10400mah.
This model is powered by a battery also means that you won’t have to worry about any cables.
- Dual-antenna design – … gives this model about 70% stronger signal reception.
This effectively means that you can place this camera farther away from your Wi-Fi router compared to other models belonging to the same category.
- Two-way audio system – In case you want to be able to use this camera as an intercom, you can – thanks to the special two-way audio system onboard.
The meaning behind the ‘two-way’ etiquette, so to speak, is that this model comes with both a microphone and a speaker. So, as long as a person is close enough to the camera itself, you can talk to them.
- Night vision (at a distance of up to 65 feet)
- 1080P video quality (with full HD)
- Micro SD storage
- Cloud storage
- Motion-detection and alerts
- A tad expensive
5) Imou – Outdoor Security Camera with Floodlight and Sound Alarm
Boasting a full field of view of 360°, thanks to its clever design, this camera from Imou can be a great solution for a person who doesn’t like moving their security or weather camera all the time to capture the entire backyard.
As far as the quality of the images is concerned, this Imou model works with 4MPs, and it has special QHD glass optics.
This means that it can shoot high-quality color images and footage around the clock, during the day, as well as during the night, thanks to its excellent night vision technology.
Here are its main features:
- Intelligent motion-tracking – One of the most notable features of this model would be its motion-tracking technology.
Since this camera is primarily built for security purposes, the folks at Imou built a special algorithm that can distinguish between motions made by animals and other objects on the one hand and humans on the other hand.
Thanks to this feature, you will never get a false alarm when it comes to whether or not someone is trespassing on your property.
- Weather-resistant build – Boasting an IP66 water tightness rating, this model can survive heavy rains, snow, and whatever else mother nature throws at it.
As far as the temperature range this camera can tackle, it goes from -30°C to 60°C so that you can use it in all kinds of environments and parts of the world.
- Bright lights ‘n’ alarm – … are two features that are the sort of first-response thing that this camera will throw at a potential burglar.
If the motion detection camera ‘sees’ a trespasser, it will automatically turn the floodlights on and also sound the alarm, as well as send a message to your phone via a special app that you can install for this purpose.
- 355° and 90° horizontal and vertical field of view
- Intelligent motion tracking
- Floodlight and a sound alarm
- A special app that will send you notifications
- Weather-resistant IP66 rating
- Two antennae for better signal retention
- Some users complained about poorly-written instruction sheets
6) Soliom – Home Security Camera Outdoor
If you’re looking for a camera model that won’t require any special batteries or long cords, this model can be just the thing for you.
Thanks to a solar panel that comes with this model, you won’t need to worry about powering this thing up – as long as it’s sunny outside.
This model’s waterproof housing will protect this camera from damage even if it’s not sunny and it’s pouring rain outside.
Here are some of the more interesting features of this model:
- Night vision in color – Most security and weather cameras that come with a night vision feature switch to black and white, or green and white mode when it’s dark outside.
This model, however, will capture images and footage in color, no matter the lighting situation outside.
- Wireless design – Thanks to its wireless connectivity and the fact that this model runs on batteries, you won’t have to worry about any cables when this model is in question.
No cables for connecting this thing to the Internet and no cables for powering this thing up, either.
This Soliom model runs on batteries, which can be recharged by a solar panel it comes with.
- Two storage options – When it comes to storing the footage, with this camera, you have two options – do it the old-fashioned way with an SD card, or opt for cloud storage.
Either way, you will always be able to download and replay any video captured by your camera quickly.
- 1080P HD quality of footage
- Night vision in color
- Two different ways of storing footage (Micro SD, or cloud)
- Powered by a rechargeable battery (which can be used with a solar panel)
- Comes with its special Soliom+ app
- Some users reported a long setup time
7) Goowls – Security Camera Outdoor
This model from Goowls can act as a great wireless weather camera model featuring a simple build and an excellent night vision feature.
Whether you’re setting up a weather station or a home security system, this camera can work in all weather conditions and still give you excellent footage along the way.
Thanks to its two-way audio option, as well as motion detection, this camera can also do wonders for property overseeing and protection purposes.
Here is a list of features of this product:
- Safe storage – In terms of how you wish to save the footage this camera makes, you have two options – an SD card of up to 128 GB, or a cloud service.
Whichever option of the two you choose, you can rest assured that downloading the content the camera made will be a piece of cake.
- Speaker and microphone configuration – Other than filming footage, this camera can also serve as a walky-talky, just without the walkie part, of course.
The thing is, this camera possesses both a microphone and a speaker inside it, so if you want to talk to someone this way, all they need to do is stand in front or near the camera.
- Great night vision – One of the best things related to this model would be the fact that it offers you excellent night vision.
It also has a broad field of view of up to 110°, so as long as you set this camera right, you can rest assured that it will be able to catch everything in its path easily.
- Two ways of storage (SD card, or a cloud service)
- Motion-detection feature
- Alexa compatibility
- Back and forth audio (mic and speaker arrangement)
- Waterproof rating IP66
- Some users may not like the design of this model
Best Camera For Weather Underground Buyer’s Guide
Even though the motion detection feature may not be the most important one for weather cameras, it’s useful to have it. So they can at least fulfill the purpose of being a security camera, too.
Motion detection does for the footage the camera captures is that it manages to differentiate between a human and animals and other objects.
This way, you can always know if someone is trespassing on your property.
Depending on what parameters you’ve set up in your camera settings, the app connected to the camera can send alerts to your mobile phone.
These alerts can be related to whenever someone trespasses on your property or something else happens that the camera can capture.
For these alerts to work, you need first to install the app and hook up the camera to that app, but this is often a process that doesn’t take more than a couple of minutes.
As long as you have a stable Internet connection, it should work like a charm.
Whether it’s able to see any potential intruders on your property or what the weather is like outside, using one of the weatherproof webcams we described above can be the easiest way of monitoring what’s going on in your backyard – from afar.
This is why the quality of the night vision feature is so important.
Since nighttime lasts as long as daytime (except if you live in Finland, or somewhere in Siberia), having a camera that offers excellent low-light video quality is essential for tracking the events on your property around the clock.
Since all of the cameras we described above share the characteristic of wireless connectivity, it’s no wonder that many of them also feature the Alexa voice control option.
Thanks to this option, the models that support it can be operated through voice control.
Some of the best camera for weather underground models even allow voice control with either Alexa or Google Assistant, which gives you more options to choose from.
A weather camera is only as effective as it can survive rough weather conditions.
All the models on the list above feature build that, to some extent, protect them from moisture and other harsh weather conditions.
It’s best to get a model with housing made out of metal (such as some aluminum alloys, for example) because these will be the most resilient to the elements.
How to set up an Underground camera?
Weather Underground represents a modern-day weather forecast alternative to commercial weather forecasts.
It gathers information about the weather from the United States National Weather Service and over 250,000 personal weather stations around the globe.
If you want to become a part of this community, you’ll need an Internet connection and a weather camera.
Here’s how you can set this up:
- Choose your camera – A camera that can be used as a weather camera needs to be able to capture footage continuously, have excellent night vision, and have good enough connectivity, so it can store the footage on the cloud. (Or, on an SD card.)
Typically, many users opt to buy security cameras for this purpose because they are durable, have all the aforementioned features, and can be easily set up.
- Get a network camera with file transfer protocol (FTP) – A camera that has the option to transfer files via the Internet as it records them is called an FTP camera.
The reason why it’s important to have a camera that supports it is if you want to use it as a weather camera is because you can share the footage online with ease and without having first to download it first and then upload parts of the footage manually.
- Select My Profile/My Cameras from Wunderground.com – While you cannot add a camera to a weather station directly, you can upload the footage of your camera to Wunderground.com.
To do this, you need to go to the My Profile section of this platform and then My Cameras, where you can add your camera of choice and then go through all the steps necessary to complete the setup.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1) What is the best camera for Weather Underground?
The best camera for weather underground would be any camera that supports the FTP we talked about above.
Also, it’s important that the camera can shoot footage continuously and survive rough weather conditions and still deliver footage.
2) Is Weather Underground going away?
Although the company Weather Underground has somewhat decreased the number of services it offers, it still exists, and there is no sign that it will shut down completely any time soon.
3) How do I get my weather station on Weather Underground?
To do this, you will need a functional weather station with its original ID and a profile on weather underground
If you go to Settings, then Share Weather, and then Weather Underground, you can add your weather station.
Next, you need to click Add and then fill in your station’s ID.
After that, you add your Station Key, select the connected device to which the sensor is sending data, select the sensor itself (only one is allowed), and then hit Save.
4) How do I upload to Weather Underground?
Uploading the data your weather sensors picked up is as easy as setting up an HTTP connection with Weather Underground.
Depending on your starting point, the steps to achieving this may differ slightly, but its gist is a simple HTTP data connection setup.
5) What weather model does Weather Underground use?
To collect and synthesize the massive amounts of data Weather Underground receives from more than 250,000 local weather stations, this company uses a system called Best Forecast.
Here, different weather models are combined to give one large picture of the weather in a certain area of the world.
All in all, getting the best camera for weather underground weather station is not nuclear science.
As long as the camera supports continuous filming and night vision and can be hooked up to the Internet via an FTP, you can rest assured that this camera will be good enough to track weather.
We hope you found this article helpful and that you managed to find a camera model that would suit your needs the best.